Back at our old house, we completely redid our backyard from practically a concrete slab into a really nice, green area split between a mix of plants and pavers-- hardscape and softscape, if you will. Back then, Abby did all the planning, and the two of us did it ourselves, with the help of my cousin Andy. (His wife, Maggie, also helped, by keeping our at-the-time two kids combined outta the way.) In the six years since, Abby's French drain has done just fine, so we're looking to emulate it six miles north.
|Andy and Abby working in our old backyard in 2008.|
The incomplete French drain is under the black fabric at left.
We attempted to have one put in during construction-- and the contractors volunteered to do so-- and we thought they had done so. But water kept pooling at the northeast corner of our house, and we had to dig to find out that it was because the original perforated pipe they had laid was surrounded by nothing but clay. So a perforated pipe, meant to drain water from the soil, was surrounded by clay, nature's best impermeable surface. Argh. So last weekend, I took it upon myself to pull the old "French drain" out and put a new French drain in.
(As an aside, did you know the French drain is not French? It's actually named for Henry French, as in "French's drain." Not only that, but Mr. French, of French drain fame, is actually the father of Daniel French, of Lincoln Memorial fame. Hmm... Son gets the back of the penny and the fiver, but dad does all the work unmucking everyone's yards; doesn't seem fair, does it? But I digress...) (What did we ever do without Wikipedia?)
So rather than explaining what I did, since it all worked out pretty well, I've attached a pictorial to show you that, yes, I actually did this myself. (With oversight help at times from Abby, and with some big muscle-work by Lola, who insisted on pouring about 75% of the dirt and rocks.) Enjoy!
|First off, digging up the old pipe and removing it.|
See how there's nothing but clay all around it? Yeah, not good.
|The full 30-foot length of the original pipe had to be excavated.|
Isaac gave me moral support.
|After removing the original pipe, I laid about 450 pounds of marble chips on the bottom.|
|All spread out.|
The rocks serve as a reservoir for built up water.
When the water gets more than a couple inches high,
it permeates through the holes in the bottom of the pipe.
|And here's the new pipe!|
Once the water's in it, the slight incline towards the wall propels the water
out of the front yard and into the back yard.
(We'll do that one another time.)
|Next comes fabric, which we use to cover the pipe and stones|
so any roots from plants on the surface don't muck up the system underneath.
The fabric is water-permeable, of course.
|Might I add that Lola helped with the process starting at the gravel?|
Here, she helped put large rocks on top of the blowing fabric
so we could head to the next step: soil.
|First we put some of the old dirt into the hole to cover up the fabric.|
We took the big place-holder rocks out each time,
since the weight of the dirt was now enough.
|Then we filled the rest of the hole in with new dirt, and that was it!|
Not a bad project if I may say so myself. And it rained for pretty much 48 straight hours after we did it, with only minimal puddling, so all is well. Next step in the front yard is putting a lot more dirt in, so that we can grade the water to run away from the house and get rid of the step you have to take onto the front porch. I'm going to attempt to remove some of the clay as well, replacing it with regular dirt, after our horrible experience with our front yard at the old house, where tree after tree died at about two years of age, once its roots hit the solid clay beneath the topsoil. Hopefully, by the end of the summer (or earlier!!) this will be a happy green spot for us (and all of our neighbors) to enjoy-- and will help them all forget about the crazy construction that's been going on here nonstop since 2011!